BioVis Meetup #6: Communicating Scientific Concepts Through Art
We are pleased to announce BioVis Meetup #6!
Join us Jan 31 at 5 pm Berlin / 4 pm London / 11am East Coast US / 8 am California /
Communicating Scientific Concepts Through Art with Beata Edyta Mierzwa, PhD - Molecular Biologist and Science Artist, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research and UC San Diego and “Beata Science Art”
Abstract: Creativity is an integral part of both science and art, and using it to combine these two seemingly different disciplines creates unique and effective ways to communicate scientific information, both inside and outside the scientific community. Along my classical academic career path, I have been exploring the visual aspect of science communication using hand-drawn illustrations, science fashion, and interactive media. My drawings aim to convey complex biological concepts using both abstract imagery and real scientific data. Each illustration requires breaking down the essence of scientific findings and translating them into aesthetic visuals using metaphors that describe complex biological processes in intuitive ways. This form of visualization provides a powerful tool to facilitate communication between researchers from diverse fields, spark fascination and curiosity for science, as well as inspire our next generation of scientists. In this talk, I will share my journey towards combining science and art, highlight the impact of artistic practices on my own research and communication, and discuss avenues for scientists to explore this emerging field.
Zoom link: https://tu-dresden.zoom.us/j/86078643977?pwd=dFZiNEIzcWhNUVRDZmt1MVdpWFpjUT09 Meeting ID: 860 7864 3977 Passcode: T3ht0M#!
All recordings are available on YouTube.
Questions & Suggestions
We are happy if you get in touch with Heba Sailem and Helena Jambor (helena.jambor - at - tu-dresden.de)
Future and past events
- BioVis Meetup #6: Communicating Scientific Concepts Through Art Jan 31, 2023
- BioVis Meetup #5: Visualising science: Communicating complex research with information graphics at Nature Nov 29, 2022
- BioVis Meetup #4: Surgery visualizations: leveraging AI in the healthcare setting Sep 27, 2022
- BioVis Meetup 2022/2023 Sep 26, 2022
- BioVis Meetup #3: A pandemic of bad charts May 24, 2022
- BioVis Meetup #2: Visualisation of Spatial and Image Data Mar 22, 2022
- BioVis Meetup #1: Changing the world with data visualization Jan 25, 2022